46. How did Karol Kurpinski celebrate the national struggle?
47. Why was the kingdom of Netherlands, which included Belgium, set up in the North?
(a) To control censorship laws
(b) To curb government activities
(c) To prevent French expansion
(d) Both (a) and (b)
48. What led to the abolishing of the tariff barriers in the German-speaking regions of Europe
and the reduction of currencies?
(a) Formation of the Customs Union
(b) Formation of traditional institutions
(c) Abolition of feudalism
(d) State power
49. What was viewed as obstacle to economic change and growth by new commercial classes?
(a) Absence of railways
(b) Limited suffrage
(c) Customs duties
(d) Reduced status of women
50. A merchant traveling from Hamburg to Nuremberg, in the first half of the nineteenth century,
had to pass through how many customs barriers to sell his goods?
51. In revolutionary France, who were granted exclusive rights to vote?
(a) All women
(b) Property-owning men
(c) Property-owning women
(d) All men
52. Nationalism brought about in Europe the emergence of:
(a) The Nation State
(b) The modern state
(c) Multinational Dynastic state
(d) Alliances formed among many European states.
53. The term Plebiscite means:
(a) Adult Franchise
(b) A direct vote by which all the people of a region are asked to accept or reject a proposal
(c) When the rich and the aristocrats select their leaders
(d) A vote by the people to elect their leader.
54. The ideas of a United community enjoying equal rights under a constitution were expressed
by the French as:
(a) La Patrie
(b) Le Citoyen
(c) Both (a) and (b)
(d) None of the above
55. Liberalism meant to the new middle classes
(a) political freedom
(b) Freedom of the individual and equality of all before law
(c) End of aristocracy
(d) New political rights
56. Which new spirit guided European nations after Napolean’s defeat?
57. When did the French Revolution start?
58. What emphasised the notion of a united community enjoying equal rights under a constitution?
(a) la patrie (the fatherland) and le citoyen (the citizen)
(b) French people in common
(c) French Flag
(d) idea of one nation state
59. Regional dialects were discouraged and _________, became the common language of the nation.
(b) Polish language
60. What mission did the revolutionaries declare as the destiny to the French people?
(a) to liberate the peoples of Europe from despotism – to help other peoples of Europe to
(b) to make a one nation state
(c) to become a democracy
(d) to become sovereign