31. Which period saw the rise of regional political parties in many states of the country?
(a) Period after 1990
(b) Period after 2000
(c) Period after 1980
(d) Period after 1970
32. Which of the following languages is recognized as national language by the constitution of
(d) None of these
33. Which level of government in India has the power to legislate on the residuary subjects?
(a) Union government
(b) State government
(c) Local-self government
(d) Both (a) and (b)
34. ________ is a system of government in which the power is divided between a central authority and various constituent units of the country.
(b) Unitary system
35. In a federal system the central government ____________ order the state government to do something.
(a) and (c)
36. On which of the given subjects can both the Union as well as the State Governments make laws?
(c) Trade unions
37. What is meant by Residuary powers?
(a) Subjects under Union List
(b) Subjects under State List
(c) Subjects under both State and Union List
(d) Subjects which are not under any list
38. States such as Assam, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram enjoy special powers under certain provisions of the constitution of India (Article 371). Under which context do they get
(a) Trade and commerce
(b) Protection of land rights of indigenous people
(c) Special provisions for agriculture
(d) For defence purposes
39. The creation of ________ was the first and a major test for democratic politics in our country.
(a) states according to religion
(b) states according to culture
(c) linguistic states
(d) states according to topography
40. On which basis were states like Nagaland, Uttarakhand and Jharkhand created?
(a) On the basis of language
(b) On the basis of culture and ethnicity
(c) On the basis of religion
(d) On the basis of commerce and trade
41. Hindi is the mother tongue of only about ___________ percent of Indians?
42. When did the era of coalition governments at the Centre begin which led to a new culture of power sharing and respect for autonomy of State Governments?
(d) 2000 onward
43. Census of India held in 2011, recorded more than _______ distinct languages which people mentioned as their mother tongues?
44. In the data for scheduled languages of India, which is the second highest in proportion of speakers (%) after Hindi?
45. When was the constitution amended to make the third-tier of democracy more powerful and effective?